Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Method 9

Our library currently does not offer any type of chat service with patrons. It is something that may be done in the future, but I have not heard any other library staff members talk of doing anything like those libraries that were referred to are doing. One concern I would have about putting a Meebo widget embedded in catalog searches that yield no search results is that it would result in more requests for help than the staff could keep up with. I would expect that some libraries who have set this type of service up, have run into this problem. IM is used internally in the Amarillo Public Library for communication between librarians, and between branches. After going over this lesson, I asked our tech librarian to set me up with an IM account. I have made use of it a few times. It has worked out well in communicating with a staff member at another library branch, who is deaf. Since she cannot use the phone, using Instant Messenger has worked out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment