Monday, November 9, 2009

Method 5

Method 5
First Impression. Overwhelming, as in the number of photos uploaded to Flickr is overwhelming. Or, here is another thing that I need to keep up with -uploading my photos to Flickr, adding comments and tags, grouping them, editing them, sharing them, etc, etc. But I suppose I am not obligated to do so.

I have looked at what libraries are doing on Flickr, but was not really drawn to any of the sites I looked at. I looked at several, and didn't find any of them very interesting or informative. I may not be looking at the better ones, or more likely, I am not looking with the right set of eyes and the right mindset.

I can see the advantage of sharing certain photos of a personal or family orientation with others in a private group. This might be easier than trying to share them via Facebook or MySpace. Also, it would be a way to have photos backed up in case something were to happen to one's home computer.

Something is not adding up for me. First I tried to find images of New Mexico. Many images that had been tagged "New Mexico" showed up. Being too broad I tried to narrow it. An option presented on each page of images was to click "New Mexico Clusters". This brought up what seemed to be other tags that would still be New Mexico but would narrow down the number of images by narrowing down the topic. I was presented with tags such as, Albuquerque, route66, clouds, mountains, adobe, Santa Fe, Taos, whitesands, etc. I chose mountains and assumed that I would get just images of New Mexico mountains. But instead, I got pictures of mountains from Scotland, Austria, France, Wyoming, but not New Mexico. I tried New Mexico Mountains as a tag search and got some hits, but not very good ones. I feel that there are more images out there that are better than what I brought up.

Image to include in my blogpost:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maximalideal/3934015809/

No comments:

Post a Comment